Builders Licensing – New Dates Announced

Our trade sub-contractors course is scheduled to run on the following dates:


Apply Legal: 20/1/2018 – 21/1/2018 & SMB Finance: 3/2/2018 – 4/2/2018

Apply Legal: 24/3/2018 – 25/3/2018 & SMB Finance: 7/4/2018 – 8/4/2018

Apply Legal: 2/6/2018 – 3/6/2018 & SMB Finance:  16/6/2018 – 17/6/2018

Apply Legal: 18/08/2018 – 19/08/2018 & SMB Finance: 1/9/2018 – 2/9/2018

Apply Legal: 6/10/2018 – 7/10/2018 & SMB Finance: 20/10/2018 – 21/10/2018

Apply Legal: 24/11/2018 – 25/11/2018 & SMB Finance: 8/12/2018 – 9/12/2018

Cost is $450 with CITB discount, or $950 without. Email [email protected] to book a place, or call us on 8367 5615. The course runs from 9am – 4pm and is held at 15 Jacobsen Crs, Holden Hill SA. Download our Trade Contractors License Flyer

Once successfully completed, applications for a BLD# can be made online:

Go to Electronic Licence Application Forms, click on application type and be guided through a series of questions.
Once you have completed the electronic application process, print the final document. Review the information and sign in the required areas. You can scan and submit and pay for your application online, or you can print and post your application and payment to us.

The application form, fees, and the required documentation must be sent to Consumer & Business Services for assessment (either by mail or by submitting electronically). If you live in a remote/regional area, you may lodge these documents and payment at a Service SA office or you can post them to Licensing GPO Box 1719 Adelaide 5001, or lodge them in person at their office in Adelaide.

If you fail to provide all the required documentation or fees, they may not be able to accept your application and it will be returned to you for completion. Your application form does have an expiry date. If you fail to lodge the application before the expiry date, you will have to complete a fresh application.

Current fees as of 22/06/2016 are as follows:

Application and Pre-grant fees Application fee Pre-Grant fee Total
Body Corporate – General building work licence $194.00 $913.00 $1107.00*
Body Corporate – specified building work licence $194.00 $470.00 $664.00*
*Plus an application for approval of a building work supervisor $115.00
Individual – General building work licence and a general building work supervisors registration $388.00 $415.00 $803.00
Individual – Specified building work licence and a general building work supervisors registration $388.00 $213.00 $601.00
Application for approval of additional building work supervisor $115.00
Individual – General building work licence $194.00 $415.00 $609.00*
*Plus an application for approval of a building work supervisor $115.00
Individual – Specified building work licence $194.00 $213.00 $407.00*
*Plus an application for approval of a building work supervisor $115.00
Application for a building work supervisor registration $194.00 $213.00 $407.00
Amending licence/registration conditions
Application to vary a licence $150.00 $150.00
Application to vary a registration $150.00 $150.00


Periodic fees Total
Body Corporate Licence – general building work $913.00
Body Corporate Licence- specified building work $470.00
Individual Licence – general building work $415.00
Individual Licence – Specified building work $213.00
Building Work Supervisor Registration $185.00


Other fees Total
Default penalty for periodic returns $165.00
Replacement of licence card or certificate $25.50
Application for approval of a building work supervisor $115.00

Assistance applying for license:

Another option open to tradespeople is to work with Sam Cottell at Trades SA. Sam will be able to review your applications, fill in paperwork and lodge forms on your behalf. Contact Sam on 0430206032 for more information, or visit his website

This package deal could set a tradie up for life. Skills recognition and licensing without the hassle!

Do you have more than 4 years experience working as a bricklayer, tiler, stonemason or plasterer? You now have the opportunity to have your skills formally recognised and gain a contractors license. All licensing costs can be included depending on the package selected.1

The SA Government requires tradespeople to complete 2 business units before applying for a license. FCTA – Building Careers has teamed up with SA Trade Licensing for a limited offer.

Packages start at just $2500 and include the cost to recognise trade experience formally with a Certificate III. This is the same certificate apprentices study. There may be some gaps in your knowledge, and thats not a problem as all gap training costs are also included. This would cost over $4000 normally!

The package includes the cost of the 2 business units and a preparatory technical interview with SA Trades Licensing. Successful students will be able to legally run their own businesses and advertise for work. There will be a focus on educating people in the relevant Australian Standards and National Construction Code (formally called the BCA).

If you’ve been working in the industry for 4 years or more, chances are you already have a CITB membership. If not visit to apply. The cost of this package is $3000 for people without a CITB membership. 2

We have packages that also include filling in all application details, lodgement of forms and police checks from $3950 – this includes all government charges, no more to pay. If you are looking at investing in your long term success and establishing your own company, for $4950 we can take the work out of the paperwork! For more information, download our FLYER

Interested? Email [email protected] or call us on 8367 5615 to discuss.



Trade License Course Starts November 7th – Last one for 2015! Get Qualified for a BLD# Now

If you’re working in the building industry without a contractors license, you could legally be denied payment by customers for jobs under $10,000. You can also be fined on top of this. A Current Affair and Today Tonight love to run stories on ‘dodgy tradies’ but I don’t recall ever seeing reporting on the customers that don’t pay for the work completed! If you don’t have a trades license there’s not a lot you can do to legally try to recoup your payment. The best way to avoid these situations is to be licensed.

In South Australia that means that you need to complete 2 business units, SBSMB406– Manage small business finances & CPCCBC4009B– Apply legal requirements to building and construction projects. Our last course for the year starts Saturday November 7th at 9am. Courses are held at 15 Jacobsen Crs Holden Hill. The course runs across 2 weekends, with the trainer setting aside Sunday afternoons to help with any questions regarding the assessment questions that need to be completed. To book, click here .

For more information on the process of obtaining your BLD# visit this SA Government website link. If you are unsure about the process and would like some help, or if you didn’t complete an apprenticeship, Sam Cottell is a trade licensing consultant who use to work at OCBA/ Consumer & Business Services. He can be contacted on 0430206032. The FCTA team are happy to assist with questions also, you can call us on 8367 5615 or email [email protected]

Are You A Tradie Looking at Moving to South Australia? These Are the Sites for You

Trades Recognition Australia has all the information you need to find out how to migrate to Australia as a skilled worker by having your existing skills and training recognised.

Another useful site, is the forum “Poms in Adelaide” they have a great forum for people to ask questions about working and living in Adelaide. A lot of tradespeople from the UK are active on the forum, making it an excellent resource.

It’s important to note that tradespeople moving to South Australia are still required to apply for a contractors licence. This requires the completion of 2 subjects, Apply legal requirements to building and construction projects (CPCCBC4009B )and Manage small business finances (BSBSMB406). Other requirements are detailed at the SA Governments Website:

Our next sub-contractors licence course commences November 7 – 8 & 21 – 22. To book click this link.

Photo sourced from “Northern Mick”

Most Tradies Lodge Their Tax Returns ASAP, Just In Case You Haven’t Here Are Some Tips About Recent Changes That Could Save You Money

TAX advisors and accountants H&R Block have given their top pointers for how your business can make the most of the changes.

THE TAX CUT Treasurer Joe Hockey announced that from July 1, 2015, all incorporated small businesses will see their tax rate fall from the current 30 per cent to 28.5 per cent.Better still, those small businesses which aren’t operated through a company (about 70 per cent of the total) will also get a tax cut.

If you are a sole trader, or operate through a partnership, a trust, or indeed any other non-corporate vehicle, you’ll get a five per cent discount on the tax payable on your profits from the business, up to a maximum of $1,000 per individual.

The changing tax rate at July 1 opens up a few opportunities that you really should be taking advantage of:DEFERRING TAXABLE INCOME (by invoicing late or delaying completion of a job for instance) until the start of the new tax year – this revenue will be taxed next year at the lower rates coming into force.

Accelerate deductions if you are able to pay additional bills before the end of the current tax year, or even prepay some of next year’s costs, you can lock in a deduction at the current, higher rates of tax.

THE $20,000 ASSET WRITE-OFFRetailers are reporting a boom in enquiries, and surveys indicate that the Treasurer’s message to go out and have a go has resonated with many taxpayers, who are rushing to take advantage of the new instant deduction for assets acquired up to a value of $20,000.But with those same surveys indicating that more people intend to take up the tax break than are eligible to receive it, a note of caution needs to be sounded.

To minimise your chances of having the ATO challenge the deduction, here are some key tips:ONLY SMALL BUSINESSES QUALIFY. This might seem obvious but you actually have to be in business to be a small business.All those saloon bar experts advising that you just need to go out and get an ABN to claim the tax break are wrong. At the very least, the ATO will expect to see evidence of real business activities and they will no doubt be looking very closely at post-budget night applications for ABNs, particularly where registration is then matched with subsequent asset purchases.

MAKE THE MOST OF THE TAX BREAK AND PURCHASE THIS TAX YEARUnlike the small business tax cut, which doesn’t come into force until July 1, the $20,000 asset write off is available immediately and will apply until June 30, 2017. So, if you plan to make use of the tax break, the best time to do it is before June 30, 2015 when you will able to claim the write-off at the current, higher rates of business tax.

UNDERSTAND WHAT THE TAX BREAK IS. And also what it isn’t. For example, it isn’t a cash hand-out.If you go out and buy an asset for, say, $10,000 the ATO won’t give you $10,000 in cash to reimburse you.They’ll allow you to deduct $10,000 from your profits for the year which assuming a tax rate of 30 per cent – means that your overall tax liability will fall by $3,000.The tax break is great if you already plan to purchase assets, but it would be unwise to rush out to buy things you don’t genuinely need because following on from the example above you’ll still be out of pocket by $7,000 on your $10,000 purchase.

THE AMOUNT YOU CAN CLAIM IS GST EXCLUSIVE. This is relevant if your business is registered for GST and can claim an input tax credit on the purchase. The amount you can claim is the GST exclusive price. That means that if a retailer is quoting GST inclusive prices, you can purchase assets up to $22,000 in price ($20,000 excluding GST).

THE ASSET MUST BE INSTALLED AND READY FOR USE. This is particularly important if you intend to purchase an asset before the end of the tax year and you might have to wait for it to be delivered or installed. It isn’t enough that the asset is purchased, it must be installed and ready for use in the business before the deduction can be claimed.

SECOND-HAND ASSETS. Yes, you can claim a deduction for second hand assets. That could be particularly useful for motor vehicles. That new ute you’ve had your eye on might not qualify because its over $20,000, but if you can pick up a second-hand one for less than $20,000, you can still get the benefit.

BEWARE PRIVATE USE. To claim the full deduction, the asset has to be used in the business. If there’s an element of personal use, you can still claim the deduction but it needs to reflect the element of personal use. So, if you spend $10,000 on an asset which is used 50 per cent privately, you can only claim a deduction for $5,000.

Of Course its always important to make sure that you hold the correct trade licenses, and having a BLD# will go a lot further than just an ABN for proving you are a legitimate small business. If you haven’t got your sub-contractors license, read our step by step guide on how to get one

The next trade subcontractors course starts November 7th – 8th and concludes November 21st – 22nd. Bookings can be made at

  • AAP
  • JUNE 10, 2015 9:38AM

Jan 18 – 19 & Feb 1 – 2 Contractors Licence Course

The SA Govt requires tradies to complete 2 business units as part of their contractors licence application. The units are:

  • Apply Legal Concepts &
  • Small Business Finance

The course runs over 2 weekends, 4 days in total. The first weekend session is Jan 18-19, take a break the next weekend and complete the course on Feb 1-2. We start at 9am and finish at 5pm. Time is allowed each Sunday to discuss the assignments and ask the trainer questions.

The cost for the course is $450 for CITB card holders, or $950 without a CITB card. Download the course flyer by clicking here

Call us on 8367 5615 to book, or email [email protected]


COAG ditches national licensing scheme

First published 13th December 2013 Sydney Morning herald

A country-wide licensing authority for a range of occupations including lawyers and real estate agents has been scrapped.

The Council of Australian Governments (COAG) has agreed to scrap the National Occupation Licensing Authority which was set up by the former Labor federal government after a 2008 COAG meeting.

Most states decided at a meeting in Canberra on Friday not to proceed with the national scheme, citing the cost and other problems.

“Let’s try to bring about the same outcome in a less cumbersome, less time-consuming and ultimately more productive way, and I think that’s what we are going to do now,” Prime Minister Tony Abbott said.


Mr Abbott said there should be a seamless national economy so people such as lawyers and plumbers could trade in every jurisdiction and not just where they were licensed.

He said mutual recognition could bring that about without the extraordinarily difficult and endless processes national schemes seemed to involve.

States were generally opposed to the scheme because it would mean they would miss out on licence fee revenue.

The authority will cease operations in early 2014.